Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
--Acts 17:11--

Sunday, January 19, 2014

THE PLAN...Memorizing the Word

I have never been a big scripture memorizer. I have always admired folks who could throw out huge amount of scripture word for word with address, too, but it wasn't something I developed into a discipline. However, this year, the Lord has really impressed on me the importance of memorizing scripture.

I'll talk about this more later and the bigger picture of why it is important, but for now, if you are wondering why you should make the effort, Ann Voskamp says it far more beautifully than I can.
 
"What we know by heart is what the heart knows"...and we live.

Want to know why you need to memorize scripture? Ann has the answer.

I'm not following the same memorization list she is because the Lord has me on a specific path this year, but her ideas on how to memorize and the verses she offers are superb. You won't go wrong with her. This is her memorization goal for 2014.

Ann uses Scripture Typer for her memorization. I personally found Scripture Typer to be distracting. My competitive side was far more interested in the words per minute than the verse, so I simply work on memorizing the old fashioned way: write it down over and over or read it over and over until I have it. The important thing isn't how I get it in there. The important thing is simply that it IS there.

No comments:

Post a Comment