Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
--Acts 17:11--

Sunday, January 19, 2014

THE PLAN...Journaling

What's a journal? A place where you write your thoughts.

Why is it important? Several reasons.

--Because as humans, we so easily forget.

--In the Old Testament, the Lord told the Israelites to remember all the things He had done for them. They were to write them down and share what He did with the generations to come. Journals do that.

--Because others may need to know what I've learned on the journey. Ann Voskamp asked once why we journal. My reply was honest. I said something like, "I journal so when I am out of the trial and the wilderness I remember what the journey was like, how it hurt, and how the Lord brought me out. In my remembering, I can walk with others in the wilderness, have compassion for their pain, and hopefully offer them a road map through when they can't find their way."

What do I write? Anything. I write memory verses. Comments. Prayers and answers to prayer. Ponderings of the day. Ways the Lord came to my rescue. The book of Job--The Jerri Version. Sermon notes. Anything and everything.

How often do I write? Yes.

A journal is a way for you to remember your story, for you to go back and see promises God made, ways He kept thing, things He taught you. It holds revelations that you will inevitably need to remember again. Music lyrics that were exactly what you needed to hear at that moment. Questions. Answers. Laughter and tears. It is your story...because it is His story living out in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment