Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
--Acts 17:11--

Monday, January 27, 2014

January 27, 2014, Military Monday, Genesis 22-24, Jeremiah 29, All Captive Places


This morning early I was unable to sleep and thought of a friend of ours whose husband is away for Army training. She had to make a long drive, and it was raining, and like me, she hates driving in the rain, so she asked for prayer. God answered in some really neat ways that made it easier, but still she has to drive those two hours. In the time I was awake I lay here and prayed for her.

I think sometimes we try to make prayers so pious that we forget they are personal. Yes, our men and women in uniform are warriors who deal with things most of us hope to never see, but they also deal with stuff that hits us every day. They are married. They have parents who are ill. They lose friends. They get home sick. They worry about their kids.

When we pray for our military personnel, we don’t have to pray some official sounding prayer. All we have to do is look at our family and our friends and ourselves and know what to pray.


PRAYER
Lord,

I lift up our military personnel to you. For whatever reason, I keep thinking about the important days at home they miss. I think about the birthdays—and the births…and the deaths. I am thinking about the anniversaries that are celebrated with a quick skype session if they get celebrated at all. I keep thinking of the time they are gone and the things they miss that there is no way to get back, and while these men and women are committed warriors, they are human, and I know these things hurt them. I know their hearts ache.

I ask you to comfort those aches. Somehow give them peace. Only you can, and they need it.

I pray for the family and friends who are missing them. I pray that you would comfort them as well. I ask you to help the couples and the families to find ways to connect, even if it is so far away. I pray that you would give them special things to bind their hearts together, whether that be a special code or signal or word. Maybe it is a wink or a hand sign. Lord, help them to find a way to be one and to be connected even when they are so far apart.

Keep their hearts steady and faithful and give them strength to get through these hard times. They need you. Be everything for them.

Thank you, Lord.

 Amen

 BIBLE READING

Genesis 22—I have heard this story since I was little. I couldn’t wrap my mind around it then. I now have kids, and I realize how much faith it took for Abraham to do what he did. Okay, so I’m not impressed with the way he treated Sarah, but this is hardcore. This man had faith on a scale I can’t touch.

 Genesis 23—Sarah is dead. I’ve heard different sermons on this passage and the negotiating that went on, but the simple fact is Sarah is dead and buried. Moving on.

 Genesis 24—Faith. “So what if the woman won’t come back with me. Do I take your son there?”

 “No. The promise is HERE.”

 The answer wasn’t based on circumstances or what Abraham could see. It was based on faith. He knew his son would have descendents. He had to for the promise to be fulfilled. Abraham’s servant was ready to do what had to be done to make the promise happen. Abraham knew God would do what He had to do to keep the promise. Abraham did not have to make things happen. He just had to let God fulfill His promise.

 
MEMORIZATION

Working on finishing this up.

Jeremiah 29

10 This is what the Lord says: “When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place.
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.
13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
14 I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity.  I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”

I memorize, and I meditate. Yesterday I got through, “I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity.”

Then today I was going to finish this, but I got caught up in the next sentence.

“I will gather you from ALL the nations and places I have banished you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.

All the places of banishment. All the places of captivity. All the places of rejection.

All the places where the true identity was lost and a false identity was taken.

You will seek me and you will find me when you seek me with all your heart…and I will bring you back from all the places where you’ve gotten lost and lost yourself….

 
BIBLE STUDY/JOURNAL

 I’m pondering….

No comments:

Post a Comment