Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
--Acts 17:11--

Thursday, January 16, 2014

THE PLAN...Bible Reading

The Plan....Reading the Bible All the Way Through

My goal is to Read through the Bible in a year.

It only takes reading three chapters a day to read through the Bible in a year. Most folks can find time for three chapters a day. Doesn't feel too daunting.

Personally, I like reading five chapters a day. For some reason, counting by five seems easier, and if I miss a day here and there, I don't necessarily have to do a heavy makeup if I want to finish in a year since five chapters a day only takes about nine months.

I want to present a simple reading plan for what to read every day. I'll tell you what I've read, toss in some thoughts, let you know if anything caught my attention, and in the comments, you share your thoughts. The point isn't deep study or a debate. This isn't a theological study. It is simply a reading overview to read through and find out what is really in the Bible.

What if I miss a day? Well, you will miss a day. I can already tell you there will be a few days I miss because I just scheduled oral surgery for February, and my mind on pain meds is not conducive to reading and learning my Bible. I'm trying to figure out those days because I'm in this with you, and I want you to share the adventure everyday. I'll have an answer by then, so just keep dropping in. As for what if you miss a day? Read it the next day. If you comment, it comes to me, so I'll see it. I'll always try to reply. Just read where you are and comment as you feel led. I'm already figuring out ways to make sure all reading sections are easy to find and participate with.

What if I start in July, and you are already in Job? Either jump in with us in Job and let's start over when we are done, or start at the beginning and let me know where you are. As long as you read the Bible through, you'll get the bigger picture, and that is the goal. I don't think a perfect time frame or perfect road exists. As long as you read it through, you are doing great. Just stay on the path and don't quit. We will get through. Honest.

What version? I will be reading NIV. You read what you want.

The map? Starting at Genesis 1 and working our way to Revelation 22.

A year? Like January 1 to January 1? A year. As in a time span. The "new year" is a human idea. The Lord doesn't care. He doesn't care if you read the Bible in three months, as I've known some to do, or three years. He wants you to be in His Word. Period. A year is a simple time span that allows me to create a strategic plan for reading the Word consistently daily. Nothing more. If I shoot for a year, but it takes me 14 months, depending on what was in that 14 months, I might have accomplished something amazing. If I read the Bible in six months but don't remember it much, didn't really help, did it? The goal is to read each day and recall at least the general idea of what you read.

Comments I would love to hear what caught your attention and what you thought of as you read, but again, this is not a theological study, and we are not debating anything. I won't allow comments that are critical or invalidate someone else's revelation or insight, and I do monitor all comments. I will also do my best to reply to all comments. If you have a question about something you read or what my thoughts, you will have to ask. I am not the Holy Spirit. I am simply a fellow journeyer offering a tool to hear the Spirit yourself.

I think that covers this part of the plan. If I missed anything, please forgive me, and if you have questions, shoot them my way. I'll give you the best answer I can.

This is so exciting!!! Glad we are on the journey together!  

No comments:

Post a Comment