Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
--Acts 17:11--

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

THE PLAN


Oh my goodness, I am so excited and nervous all at the same time!!!

I am excited because I love the vision for this. I am nervous because...well, it is a pretty big vision, and I know what I want to do. I also know life. BUT, I did pray for the Lord to give me things that only He can do, and between you and me, I think this fits.

If you go read the introduction, you get just that, an introduction. I want to take a moment and share some specifics concerning what we are going to do here. You may not want to be part of it all. In fact, the whole package may seem really overwhelming to you. Well, the good news is YOU don't have to do the whole package. I'm inviting you on a path with me, and as you want to, you can wander down your own path and either keep it to yourself or share it with everyone else. There is no rule for the right way for you to do this. The only suggestion is drop by daily. It's amazing how consistent time with the Lord every day changes a life.

My hang out time with the Lord is in the mornings, but you can do it any time. I used to pray while I drove the 30 minutes to work. I know folks who listen to the Bible on podcast or CD while in the car. I couldn't concentrate well that way, but it works for them. You figure out the specifics for you.

Here are the things I want to include on our path:

--Reading the Bible everyday

--Prayer

--Memorizing scripture

--Journaling

--Specific verse or passage study

I'll be honest with you. I'm a single mom with two teenage kids. If my kids get a tummy bug, you probably won't see me that day. I'll be hanging with God, but it probably won't be coherent enough to make it to the computer. I have oral surgery scheduled for February. I am not counting on memorizing too much with pain meds coursing through my system.

However, I choose to make these things priority. If I have to choose between reading a person's update on Facebook and reading a worshipful Psalm, I'll choose the Psalm. I won't always feel like it, but that is what I have decided is my priority. It isn't following a rule. It is developing a relationship.

My goal in reading the Bible isn't to learn stories. It's to learn the Savior. The Bible is HIS story.

My goal in prayer is not to tell Him what I want but to lay things before Him and let Him do what He wants.

I learn His Word for the same reason I learn my friends' interests. It's because I want to learn HIM, just as I want to learn them.

I don't do any of this because I have to. If I make it a rule, it becomes a burden. However, if it is making a relationship, it becomes an adventure.

Learning about God is the greatest adventure I've ever known. Want to adventure with me? Yeah? Then let's do this thing. :-)

4 comments:

  1. Best of luck in the new venture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jason! God bless you, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. rule vs relationship I LOVE that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diahann,
    I'm still learning this, but what I've learned is like a straggling person finally getting air. Oh. my. goodness. I was suffocating all these years and had no idea. May the Lord grant that relationship be paramount here and in the hearts of lives of all who visit. So glad you are here!

    ReplyDelete