Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
--Acts 17:11--

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

January 22, 2014 We the People...Who Give Lavishly, Genesis 7-9, Jeremiah 29

Today as I write this, I don't want to be writing it. What I want to write is about the loss of a beautiful man. Jack Clark taught agriculture (AG) and shop classes for decades where I went to school, and today he passed on. I have no idea how many of us are feeling the gaping hole tonight, but honestly, I just want to think about him and what a blessing he has been to so many and how much better our lives are, and I've been trying to figure out how to shift my gaze from Mr. Clark to our nation, and how do I pray for our nation when I hurt for his family? I think I know.


PRAYER

Dear Lord,
Today you chose to take home a man who loved like I believe you love. He didn't teach a subject. He taught young people. He taught them the power of patience by giving it. He taught them they can do great things if they stick to it. He taught them needing a second try was normal, and he taught us to not give up on ourselves and not to give up on others.
He taught us so many things about living well.
Lord, this country is built by people like Mr. Clark, teachers, mentors, leaders, neighbors, folks who step in when parents aren't there, people who give of their lives so living is made more clear. I ask today for your blessing on these people. I ask that you would bless them for how they strengthen this country with their lives. Thank you for their selfless giving. Lord, bring forth more of them.
Thank you for Mr. Clark and Kay and all they poured into each of us. Thank you for the other men and women that other young people say the very same thing about. Thank you for the impact they had on this country through the impact they had on our lives.
Tonight, I ask especially for Mr. Clark's family, for their comfort. Only you can comfort them and carry them through this. Be with Kay as she lives without her best friend's presence. May you comfort those who mourn, and with time and your healing, may they dance again.
With deepest gratitude for those who love like you,
Amen
BIBLE READING

Genesis 7--Did you notice? He didn't take one pair of each animal. He took seven pair, which happens to be the number of pair needed to develop a new population of animals that are healthy.
 
And the very day Noah and his family entered the ark, it started to rain. God's precision timing always leaves me amazed, and sometimes it leaves me annoyed. Just keeping it real.
 
Genesis 8--Instead of grumbling about the smell or the chore or the conditions of life in the ark, instead of walking out the door and bellowing, "It's about time!", Noah made an altar and sacrificed to the Lord. No wonder the aroma was pleasing. No wonder it reached His heart.
 
Genesis 9--God blessed them and told them to increase. Does God ever bless and it not come with increase or obvious fruit? Seriously. Anybody see that in the Bible? I can't think of any instance where that happened. Anyone have one?
 
 
MEMORIZATION

This is hard to focus on today, so I am making sure my verse for the year is solid, maybe because I feel helpless with knowledge of how Mr. Clark's family is grieving. Maybe I need to remember even in the worst places, I can offer a safe place.
Each one will be like a shelter from the wind,
and a refuge from the storm,
like streams of water in the desert,
and the shadow of a giant rock in a thirsty land.
Isaiah 32:2
Lord, grant me wisdom to know how to be a comfort in hard places.


BIBLE STUDY/JOURNAL
 
Today I find it interesting that I read about Noah and the ark. For the first time, I saw the journey we were on as a trip in the ark. God said, "I'm going to destroy everything as you know it, but I've got you," and He did, and He has. Just like the new life He gave Noah, ours is blessed and fruitful and good. It has aspects of what it used to be, but for the most part, it's all new, and we have to learn to live in it differently.

Today the Clark family enters into an ark they will hate, just as we hated ours, and they will ache for what was, but it is gone. They will have to do like all of us. They have to find life on the other side of the destruction. It is a hard thing, but it can be blessed richly.

I wonder how many of you are sitting in an ark knowing what you knew and loved is gone. You can't imagine the future yet. You just know it isn't what it used to be, and the transition to get there stinks and is hard and uncomfortable and miserable, and does it really matter if you get out of bed? I mean, this ark sort of floats itself, you know.

If you are in the ark, I want to you know, I spent a few years in an ark between the life with a husband/dad, mom, extended family, and hopes for a happy ending and where we are now. I hated it, but I realize it had to happen for me to get here. No. I am not trying to candy coat or cliche' comfort.
Some of you are wondering if their is any hope at all, and I want you to know, yes, there is. I know it is hard. I know it hurts. I know this is not the ride you would have asked for, but I also know God is good, and on the other side of this are blessings and fruitful life and increase...and a rainbow with your name on it.

You see, that rainbow wasn't just about the flood. It was a promise for everyone who ever steps into an ark. It's a promise that the rain will one day stop. You'll walk out of the ark, and life will really happen again.

May God grant you strength for the journey and courage to believe in your rainbow.

2 comments: