Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
--Acts 17:11--

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

February 18, 2014 Genesis 43-45, Testing the Family Waters

PRAYER

Tuesdays are the day when I pray about my church, and today I feel at a loss. You ever feel that way? It is really easy not to pray at all because I don’t know what to say, BUT, I’ve made this commitment, and I really want to keep it, and my church needs prayer…..So, I’m just going to start talking and let the Spirit take over.

Lord,

I need your heart for my church. I need to know what is on your mind. I got to church on Sundays, and I look around and wonder what those people are dealing with. I wonder what is hurting them. I wonder how many of them are on the edge and barely hanging on. I wonder how many of them are sitting there thinking if people really knew them they would be mortified. And I think about how crushing that is, and, Lord, if I could give those people anything, I would give them freedom from that. I would hand them Isaiah 61 on a platter. So, Lord, that is what I am praying for my church. I ask you to:

Proclaim good news to the poor. Beyond the pastor’s words, on a spiritual level, in a personal way, give them the good news that they don’t have to live where they are anymore.
Bind up the brokenhearted,
    to proclaim freedom for the captives
    and release from darkness for the prisoners,
   proclaim to them that this is the time when they have favor with you, all the breakthroughs, healings, and blessings they’ve been hoping for, NOW is the time
 and show them that now is when you will act on their behalf and hold accountable those who acted against them, those who left them hurting, broken, and wounded,
 comfort all who mourn,
 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
 bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes,
the oil of joy instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.

Lord, I ask you to unleash the purpose of Christ on the people in my church for their healing and deliverance and your glory.

Thank you for hearing my petition and acting on behalf of your people.

I ask these things in the holy name of Jesus,

Amen

BIBLE READING

Genesis 43— I didn’t understand Joseph’s reaction to Benjamin until today. I didn’t understand the big emotional reaction to someone he didn’t even know until today. Yesterday I mentioned Joseph wanting to belong somewhere, wanting a connection. I think that was Benjamin. He was a brother to the others, but he wasn’t. The family dynamics made things crazy, then he had dreams, and add the favoritism, and he didn’t belong, but here is a boy who is a real brother who is obviously the favorite now, who might understand. Joseph could finally see a good ending for himself in the family because he saw the good ending Benjamin was living.

Genesis 44—Wow. Talk about a character test. Were they the same? Had things changed? He wanted to know: who were these men NOW?

Genesis 45—“Do not quarrel on the way.” This just makes me giggle.

 MEMORIZATION

Today I found myself repeating Romans 13:15 over and over.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

I also found myself learning Luke 1:37 and 38

37 “For no word from God will ever fail.”
38 “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered.
“May your word to me be fulfilled.”
Then the angel left her.

BIBLE STUDY/JOURNAL

Lord…Daddy,

Use my words to bring you glory. Speak to my heart always so my meditations are on you and for you. Please grant that my words would be your words. Grant that my heart would be one of love. Reveal all hard places so I can give them to you and you can fill them and soften them to you and your purpose. Give me compassion and give me wisdom to pick my words carefully. Your Word says Jesus didn’t break a tender reed. Please grant that the same would be said of me. I don’t want to break any tender reeds. I want to see them through your eyes and your heart. Oh, God, that my writing would be healing and never hurtful, that it would bind wounds instead of inflicting them, that I would be more concerned about effectively communicating your truth than structuring a sentence melodically. Daddy, above all things, your heart. I love you. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment