Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
--Acts 17:11--

Monday, February 24, 2014

February 24, 2014--Exodus 7-9, Military Support; When You Can't Think Straight, You Remember


PRAYER

Daddy,

It is Military Monday, and I’m concerned about our military. I am concerned about the government’s lack of respect for our military. Right now we are in election season, and I ask you to put men and women in office who support our military. I ask you to put leaders in all areas of care and policy that truly want to serve our military men and women.

 Daddy, our military sacrifices so much for us. I ask you to stand for those who stand for our military and stand against those who don’t. That simple. You said you would bless those who bless me and curse those who curse me. Anyone who does not supply and support the military you have put in place to protect and serve my family curses me and my family. I ask you to keep your word and stand against them. On the other hand, for those who support our military, fight for their benefits, see to serve them and get them care they need, bless my family. I ask you to bless them. Do what you need to do to take care of our military and their families.

 Thank you for being a warrior God who loves our warriors.

Amen

 BIBLE READING

Exodus 7— First of all, telling people what they don’t want to hear, even when you know it is God, is not the easiest thing. And second, why in the world would you make more blood when it was already everywhere and the whole land stunk from it? This is insane to me!

Exodus 8—Seriously?! Get rid of the frogs TOMORROW?! Right now!!!
And making more gnats? Speechless.
“NOW pray for me.” It makes me giggle that Moses said, “No problem. The flies will be gone TOMORROW.”

Exodus 9—The truth is, it is easy for me to skim these chapters because I know the stories, but it took me a few readings to realize there are things I didn’t know. The point when these really started to make sense to me, though, was when  I started thinking about it from an Egyptian perspective. The slave labor going away and the change it would cause. The devastation to the land. Seeing it destroy Egypt but not Goshen. What was it like for the Hebrews? They watched God take on every “god” of the Egyptians and destroy them. So why did they worry in the desert? And I think Pharaoh was crazy, but he believed he was deity. He believed somehow he was going to come out on top, and even if he didn’t win, he couldn’t afford to lose.

 It seems ridiculous, but it makes me slide to my knees and ask the Lord, in my life, when do I stand against you because of my pride, my tradition, my refusal to let go of something I want? Do I ever know I can’t win, but I am too arrogant to lose?

 MEMORIZATION

 Head cold wins this one. I’m even writing down times when I take my meds, but this I know:

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death (or a really annoying cold) you are with me.
You comfort me.
You provide for me.
You are preparing the victory for me.
I lack nothing.
Psalm 23, paraphrased from memory.

BIBLE STUDY/JOURNAL

The point of memorizing scripture is to hold on to what you know when you are too sick or tired to learn something new. A broad base of verses is good because then no matter what comes, you have a place to stand firmly.
 
Copyright 2014 Jerri Kelley Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment