Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
--Acts 17:11--

Sunday, February 23, 2014

February 23, 2014--Exodus 4-6, It was Never About What Moses Could Do, Luke 6

Still letting my body fight this head cold. It isn’t my favorite thing, but I am amazed at how much less miserable I am now than I was three months ago before all the oral surgeries. It has not been an easy road. Truth be told, multiple times along the way I wondered if I had made a mistake, if I had chosen badly, but the truth is there was no other choice. It has left me pondering…

PRAYER

Daddy,

Thank you for taking me through hard times of healing so the rest of life is better. Thank you for your mercy, even when I hate the pain. You are good.

Amen.

BIBLE READING

Exodus 4 —God got mad at Moses. Do you have any idea how much the idea of making God mad because I refuse to be and do what He asks scares me? This has been a scary thought for me my whole life. God wasn’t mad because Moses killed an Egyptian or because he ran away into the desert. He was mad because Moses refused to be obedient. Sin isn’t just doing the wrong thing. Sin is not doing the right thing.

Um, so God was going to kill Moses. Yeah. I got nothing on that one.

Good news is all the Israelites are ready to pack and go. That’s good. Right?

Exodus 5—Well bother. I don’t think anyone hears, “God is for you and is going to save you,” and expects things to get WORSE, but they did, and I can understand the Israelites dressing down Moses and Aaron saying, “You said you were going to help, and look what you’ve done!” And poor Moses. Can you imagine how confused he was? He was supposed to be helping, and instead, his people are suffering worse conditions and being beaten. I can fully understand why he went to the Lord and said, “I’m not understanding this, and this does not look like what you said it would.”

It didn’t look like what God said.

And I think if I were Moses, I would be confused, too, and maybe even hurt. Plus, he didn’t even want to do this gig, but he is, and instead of getting better, it’s worse.

I’d be confused, too.

Exodus 6—As hard as it is to imagine, Pharaoh exerting his power was necessary. The people needed to see Pharaoh at his worst. They needed to see him act against them because it was the only they could truly understand the power of God working for them.

Okay. Never got this before. Prior to this, God was the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. NOW, He was going to be the God of the entire nation. He wasn’t just promising one person, He was promising them all.

And still, Moses wasn’t getting it. “Why would Pharaoah listen to me?” He still didn’t know. It wasn’t about him. It was about God.

 

MEMORIZATION

Luke 6
27 “But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 
28 bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you.  

Heavy blog coming on this one. I’ll let you know when it is up.

BIBLE STUDY/JOURNAL

It was never about Moses and what he could do. It was always about God and what He said He would do.


Copyright 2014 Jerri Kelley Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment